Using Bacterai to recycle Tires

Steven Harris sgharris at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Tue Feb 20 23:20:05 EST 1996

One of the researchers that I worked for a few years ago was telling me
about work going on at Penn State regarding bacteria used in the
manufacture of some synthetic polymers.  I'm not sure exactly of the
details now, but it might be a starting point.  Obvoiusly, the organism is
capable of processing hydrocarbons through it's digestive system.
However, as you probably know, the biggest problem that you'll run into
with tires is the fact that the rubber is cross-linked with disulfide
bonds.  Cross-linked materials are, by design, pretty tough to biodegrade.

Good Luck!

Steve Harris
sgharris at freenet.columbus.oh.us
steve.harris at owens-corning.com