Ectoparasite infestations in red squirrel populations

C:WINSOCKKA9QSPOOLMAIL joanne at dratt.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 20 07:45:21 EST 1996

This is a message my colleague wanted posted but as yet doesn't have
access to the mail groups, so I thought I would post it on his behalf:

I am a third year Ph.D. student currently examining the effect of
supplemental feeding on red squirrels.

During the study I have found dead and dying animals with very heavy
infestations of sucking lice. Many of the squirrels were in poor
condition and a few had large infected jaw abscesses.

I have also caught a small number of healthy adults with lice infestations.
I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has found ectoparasite
infestations in populations of other tree squirrels.

craig at dratt.co.uk

joanne at dratt.demon.co.uk