Ectoparasite infestations in red squirrel populations

Tue Feb 20 07:45:21 EST 1996

This is a message my colleague wanted posted but as yet doesn't have
access to the mail groups, so I thought I would post it on his behalf:

I am a third year Ph.D. student currently examining the effect of
supplemental feeding on red squirrels.

During the study I have found dead and dying animals with very heavy
infestations of sucking lice. Many of the squirrels were in poor
condition and a few had large infected jaw abscesses.

I have also caught a small number of healthy adults with lice infestations.
I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has found ectoparasite
infestations in populations of other tree squirrels.

craig at

joanne at