Ectoparasite infestations in red squirrel populations

C:WINSOCKKA9QSPOOLMAIL craig at dratt.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 21 08:36:06 EST 1996

I am a third year Ph.D. student currently examining the effect of
supplemental feeding on red squirrels.

During the study I have found dead and dying animals with very heavy
infestations of sucking lice. Many of the squirrels were in poor
condition and a few had large infected jaw abscesses.

I have also caught a small number of healthy adults with lice infestations.
I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has found ectoparasite
infestations in populations of other tree squirrels.

craig at dratt.demon.co.uk