IMPACT FACTOR OF PERIODICALS

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Thu Feb 22 14:17:40 EST 1996

Roman Fried (rmf at ikc.unizh.ch) wrote:
> I heard many scientists talking about these impact factors of journals,
> but I never saw a list.
>
> Does anybody know where i can lookup these values?

The impact factor list used to be part of the Science Citation Index
until the late 80's. Then ISI decided to publish them separately which
lead to the lists being only rarely available since many libraries
continued to order the Science Citation Index but would not order the
"Journal Citation Reports" or whatever ISI started to call the list.
However, you might be able to find it in a good university library.
Here is a very partial list, compiled from the 1993? issue (quoting
this is probably at the border of legality since it ignores the
copyright of ISI; however, I might be able to claim fair use):

Anal. Biochem.				 2.139
Annu. Rev. Biochem.			35.500
Annu. Rev. Biophys. Biomol. Struct.	12.769
Annu. Rev. Cell Biol.			22.756
Annu. Rev. Genet.			11.250
Annu. Rev. Microbiol.			 7.776
Bio/Technology				 4.210
Biochem. Biophys. Acta			 2.610
Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm.		 3.583
Biochem. J.				 3.716
Biochem. Soc. Trans.			 1.476
Biochemistry				 5.196
Bioessays				 4.381
Biol. Chem. Hoppe-Seyler		 1.839
Biotechniques				 2.643
CABIOS					 1.964
Cell					33.617
Circ. Res.				 5.105
Circulation				 8.511
DNA Cell Biol.				 5.385
EMBO J.					12.634
Endocrinology				 4.771
Eur. J. Biochem.			 3.499
Eur. J. Cell Biol.			 2.595
Exp. Cell Res.				 2.839
FASEB J.				18.213
FEBS Lett.				 3.505
Gene Developm.				14.270
Genomics				 6.726
Immunol. Today				20.274
J. Bacteriol.				 3.702
J. Biol. Chem.				 6.733
J. Cell Biol. 				11.118
J. Cell Sci.				 3.593
J. Mol. Biol.				 5.253
J. Neurochem.				 4.215
Meth. Enz.				 4.671
Microbiol. Rev.				16.121
Mol. Cell. Biol.			 8.291
Mol. Endocrinol.			 7.317
Mol. Gen. Genet.			 2.941
Mol. Microbiol.				 4.427
Mol. Pharmacol.				 5.389
Nature					22.139
Naunyn-Schmiedebergs Arch. Pharmacol.	 3.227
Neuron					15.589
Nucl. Ac. Res.				 3.294
Oncogene				 6.634
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.			10.480
Prog. Nucl. Ac. Res.			 9.696
Proteins				 6.775
Sci. Amer.				 3.850
Science					20.967
Trends Biochem. Sci.			15.788
Trends Genet.				11.497
Trends Neurosci.			15.426
Trends Pharmacol. Sci.			 2.336

The value of impact factors is questionable. Personally I think they
increase the competition among journals (many journals have started
to advertise with their impact factors).

--Cornelius.