LEAP DAY == Internet cleaning day

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Sat Feb 24 19:36:35 EST 1996

I almost fell of my chair, laughing, when I read this.

But seriously, Internet could use a good cleaning.  The flotsam
and jetsam, web ear-wax, home page lint, and other virtual crud
is getting so bulky it is clogging up the tubes to make your
and my use of the net much slower than it used to be.  Network
brown-outs are occurring, and trans-oceanic net use has become
extremely slow to the point of frequent failures.

A bioinformatics server in Glasgow (UK) has been trying for weeks to
copy data from IUBio server in Indiana (US), and failing due to
network time-outs.  Similar blockages seem to occur among many corners
of the world now.

At the same time DEC's Scooter from Alta-Vista and many other
robots are busy trying to suck in and index all the data on the Internet,
thousands or tens of thousands of new people are connecting daily, and
more and more large pictures, movies and such are filling the pipelines.

What do we do about it?  Live with diminishing Internet usability
as new software network technology begs for more network bandwidth?
Pay our phone and tv cable companies to build a better network (and
do we trust them to do it right, even if at a premium price)?
Expect our goverments to put more tax dollars into a better Internet?

Gosh, the below idea sounds best of all -- lets just spend a day
cleaning out all the crud.

- Don

-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana u--bloomington--gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu