Help - water intake and absorption

David W Walker dave at diwalk.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 26 13:28:18 EST 1996

In article: <4grb6q$v4j at foxhound.dsto.gov.au>  Gary Thomson
<Gary.Thomson at dsto.defence.gov.au> writes:

> I am presently reviewing methods of improving the intake and absorption
> of water into the body. Of concern is that even if fluid is readily
> available to  soldiers they will go into voluntary dehydration rather
> than drink from canteens. We are looking at ways of making ingestion
> easier. One commercially available device is a bladder with a tube, this
> means is often used by bike riders. Has anyone had any experience with
> this sort of device? Any other ideas on making the act of ingestion
> easier? Replies by E-mail would be appreciated
> (gary.thomson at dsto.defence.gov.au).

Could it also be a problem of having to use both hands to open a canteen if
it has a screw top, and hence compromise a soldiers fighting capability?

The simple plastic bicyclists water bottles (no bladder and tube) have a
simple pull valve at the top which can be opened/closed with the teeth, and
water squirted into the mouth with one hand while keeping the bike balanced
with the other. As long as the bottle holder on the soldiers belt was
designed so the bottle could be removed with one hand the drink could be
taken while still maintaining some offensive/defensive capability.

(What reason do the soldiers give for not drinking?)

Dave Walker

 David W Walker    EMail dave at diwalk.demon.co.uk

 Micscape - the monthly Microscopy Magazine
 URL < http://www.demon.co.uk/micscape/ >