A Squirrel Question

Beverly Erlebacher bae at oci.utoronto.ca
Tue Feb 27 11:33:29 EST 1996

In article <bentz.13.3.312D8B35 at postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> bentz.13 at postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu (bob bentz) writes:
>Here's an activity of daily living query: how do squirrels maintain hydration?
> Do they acquire water through the foods they eat and/or do they lap at
>puddles, birdbaths, etc.?  Who is an authority on squirrels in the literature?

I see eastern grey squirrels drinking from buckets and other containers
in my backyard.  The little $%$&&&(% eat my strawberries, too.  When
squirrels are thirsty enough, they will eat less appetizing things like
green tomatoes.  Gardeners can often prevent such damage by providing
water to urban squirrels in hot dry weather.  This doesn't keep them
out of the strawberries or flower bulbs, however!

Beverly Erlebacher
Toronto, Ontario Canada