Bioremediation

Stefan Schneider s.schneider at rz.uni-sb.de
Fri Feb 23 09:26:47 EST 1996

In article <4gjfra$ri6 at news.nstn.ca>, sail at fox.nstn.ca says...

>looking for Bioremediation solution to nasties such as PAHs and PCBs
>any ideas on where I might find some or where a news group is that
>focuses on this timely technology?
>
>Tom.

I wouldnt recommend to use biological remediation on PAHs nor on PCBs.
With PAHs, a very nasty effect is adsorbtion to the organic fraction of
soils, leading to the possibility of the total of the present PAH's not
beeing bioavailable (worst case). In addition, the PAH species with more
than three aromatic rings are very bad degradable, the ones with more than
four rings are recalcitrant.
As far as I know, there hasn't been a case, where a PCB contamination was
removed by biological treatment. Best chance to do so would be under
anaerobic conditions. But imagine tonwise amounts of soil incubated under
anaerobic conditions...... Sounds expensive, doesn't it?
I think the best way to deal with this kind of contaminations is burning.
Unless Earthsmart sells you a blend of 13 first choice bacterial strains
that are safe to man and environment and eat up anything including
chlorine gas, bulks of cyanide and the pacific ocean;-)
	Stefan