monoploid vs diploid

Michael S. Straka mike.straka at uchsc.edu
Thu Feb 29 13:14:25 EST 1996

Richard A. Dunphy  (rdunphy at calvin.stemnet.nf.ca) wrote:
>I recently read that liver cells were monoploid. I was always under the
>assumption that gametes were the only monoploid cells and all other cells
>in the body were diploid. If liver cells are indeed diploid, why? I
                                                     ********
>really would like clarification on this.
>Thanks in advance.
>
>--
>Dick Dunphy
>P.O. Box 257
>Dunville,Placentia
>AOB1SO
>rdunphy at calvin.stemnet.nf.ca

Hi Dick-

I believe you misspoke (see underline above - should've been monoploid,
actually *haploid* is the preferred term).

I've been involved in liver research for over 10 y, thru grad school,
postdoc, and currently as well, and I am not aware of any evidence
indicating anything other than that normal hepatocytes are diploid, ie
they contain the normal complement of *2N* chromosomes, with each
parental gamete contributing one-half, or *N* chromosomes.  One can state
categorically that *all* normal sex cells are by definition haploid, and
likewise, somatic (all nonsex) cells are diploid.

I'd be interested to know where you read this; perhaps it's simply a
misprint.  Otherwise it could be big news  :)

-Mike Straka