Help on my biology essay!

Pascal Scheffers pscheffers at flevoland.xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 1 10:39:25 EST 1996

Hello yvo at asiaonline.net,

Tuesday December 26 1995 06:43, yvo at asiaonline.net wrote to All:

> I'm a high school student in Hong Kong.  I'm writing an essay on
> "impact of computer on biological research and investigation".  Would
> you please help me by providing information on this topic?
A very big one, I imagin. First of all, before computers it would be impossible
to do a statistical analysis of, say, 6 million individual test results and
reduce them to a human readable form.
Next the computer can be used to sample data at (relatively) high rates, this
makes it possible to look at very fast biochemical reactions/systems. (this
results in data for item #1)
Also it's very patient, it won't miss anything while it's away on coffee break.

And magazines turn out a stagering amount of scientific data everyweek. Reading
it would require maybe 400 hours of reading a week, so the computer scans the
title & header for you. Now you can select you favorite article from that list.

Communication between a group of scientists around the world, so you can spend
your money on things someone else isn't already doing, or enlarging your own
data-stock.

Use your imagination, go visit a lab. ask someone.

Pascal Scheffers                       pscheffers at flevoland.xs4all.nl

... In vitro et in vivo the revolution begins.
|                      RBBS Flevoland Internet Gateway                   |
| RBBS Flevoland, Almere-Stad, The Netherlands +31-36-5363720 ZyXEL 19k2 |
| fax +31-36-5363720                           +31-36-5367160 V34 28k8   |
| Member of Team-OS/2, 7 cdrom's online        +31-36-5360688 ISDNC 64k  |