FEDERAL FUNDING CAPITATION MAXIMUMS

Bert Gold bgold at itsa.ucsf.edu
Tue Jan 2 11:32:16 EST 1996

Kathy,

I have no personal investment in the American Type Culture Collection;
however, you must recognize that that organization stocks in the tens
of thousands of different viruses, fungi, bacterial cells, plasmids,
phages and cell cultures.  They are reasonably responsive when a complaint
is made about their shipping or viability AND they both employ many
organizationally certified technicians and directors (ASM) AND THEY
HAVE A HUGE JOB TO DO, and they have filed many important patents in
the preservation and growth of bacterial and fungal strains.

LETS BE CAREFUL IN OUR DISCUSSIONS NOT TO THROW OUT THE BABY WITH THE
BATHWATER!!!!

My daughter, after all, is only 5 months old, she can hardly fend for
herself...

Kathy, I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with an ATCC line, but
please try to see the glass half-full occasionally.

Sincerely,

Bert Gold, Ph.D.
UCSF
San Francisco