Grant Taxing: to Dr.States

David J. States states at ibc.wustl.edu
Wed Jan 3 13:54:43 EST 1996

Alex Berezin wrote:
> What are the CONSTRUCTIVE proposals from YOUR side ?

While the current system is imperfect, it has produced
remarkable results over many years.  I would like to
see:

1) support for people and institutions - Institutions are
built on people and to my view are the primary vehicle through
which support for people as opposed to projects should be
channeled.  But our academic insitutions are under real
stress and the future holds significant new challenges
(the increasingly litigious field of intellectual property,
competition from network based remote learning centers,
politicization of research funding, and a profound
anti-intellectual undercurrent to contemporary political
debate, increasing demands on charity for social services,
etc.).  Strong and diverse support for academic institutions
needs to be fostered.  Scientists must be active in
politics, broadly defined.

2) establish a biomedical research trust fund - the health
care and biotechnology industry depends on basic biomedical
science, but for good economic reasons it may not make sense
for a private company to devote resources to basic research
that will not payoff for many years or may even benefit
competitors as much as the company itself.  Just as our
national highway system is maintained and extended by a tax
on gasoline paid by all drivers, our biomedical research
infrastructure should be supported by an assessment on all
health care expenditures that is insulated from the vagaries
and fluctuations of day to day politics.

3) move to earlier decisions on career development - we are
abusing young scientists by insisting on an extended doctorate
followed by one or more postdoc positions before considering
them for a tenure track position.  It is unreasonable to expect
professionals to subsist at poverty wages and to delay marriage
and family until their mid or late thirties.  Better to make
the hard decisions early while there is still time to develop
alternative careers.

Competitve peer review of research funding remains a corner
stone of science policy, and I would not change that.

David States