THE PROBLEM WITH PATENTS

Bert Gold bgold at itsa.ucsf.edu
Wed Jan 10 23:48:03 EST 1996

Dr. Einstein's famed patent office job, which pre-dated his 1905 publication
of three seminal papers in Annalen der Physik in one year, did indeed
provide him time for the contemplation necessary to this great achievement.

However, because this occurred long before the establishment of
'corporate research' as such, and certainly before the fabled
friendship of Edison, Ford and Firestone, it has little bearing
on the present day patent system, for which, in large part,
Edison's legal wars with such foes as Westinghouse and Tesla
was responsible.

It is worth noting that Edison himself accumulated more than
2,000 (that's two thousand) patents during his lifetime.
A record which, to my knowledge, has never been broken.

I would still hold however, now that I've demonstrated more than
a little knowledge of the subject, that there is a
SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH PATENTS these days, in that their
cultural evolution has sabotaged their original purpose:
Providing an incentive for invention to the inventor and
providing a stimulus for the nation's economy.

Bert Gold, Ph.D.
San Francisco