U.S. COMPETITIVENESS REQUIRES MORE R&D SPENDING

Bert Gold bgold at itsa.ucsf.edu
Sat Jan 13 00:19:02 EST 1996

The assertion that the U.S. NIH budget has recently been raised 12%
outpacing inflation is preposterous on it face.  The writer apparently
has not read Dr. Varmus' Shattuck Lecture in the September 1995 New England
Journal of Medicine, has no understanding that the current budget stalemate
in Washington HAS STALLED ALL NEW NIH GRANTS; and that not only is NSF
in a similar predicament, they are worse off, with contemplated budget
cuts.  The EPA, as it stands will have 17,000 fewer jobs next year
if the republican budget is passed in its current form; certainly,
we all know the EPA's ability to do CANCER RESEARCH will be eviscerated,
and my colleage at UCSF suggests everything is hunky-dory.

Doctor, what planet are you living on?

Bert Gold, Ph.D.
University of California, San Francisco
School of Medicine