Peer Review Anonymity on Trial

Ferland Louis H. ferlandl at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Sun Jan 14 02:46:48 EST 1996

On 13 Jan 1996, Gregory R. Harriman wrote:

> Date: 13 Jan 1996 22:43:25 GMT
> From: Gregory R. Harriman <gregoryh at bcm.tmc.edu>
> To: bioforum at net.bio.net
> Subject: Re: Peer Review Anonymity on Trial
>
> In article <96013.004838U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu>, <U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu> wrote:
>
> > Ahhh... we are back to that again!
> >
> > I really can't imagine a month going by without debating this issue
> > yet again?
>
>      If it bothers you to have to debate this issue again, I'm sorry.
> However, I was simply responding to the statement in Berezin's article
> which started this thread stating "there is indeed relatively LITTLE
> progress coming from biomedical establishment".  Since IMHO that is an
> incorrect statement, I felt obliged to respond.
>
> > And to be very blunt... it is my personal opinion, that more
> > progress has been made due to ideas stolen from science fiction and
> > fortuitous accidents... then by some nobel pursuit for the greater
> > good.
>
>      You are entitled to your opinion.  Nonetheless, I doubt most people
> believe, as you apparently do, that the majority of scientists are
> corrupt, cheating, greedy or incompetent.
>
> > Just think... what if the majority of people in science actually
> > worked towards solving problems and discovering unknowns instead of
> > where their next grant is coming from and how many journals they
> > have published in this year?
>
>      You do a disservice to many scientists who are interested in
> discovery and improving the health and well-being of people.  Is it a
> crime because they also have to worry about where they are going to get
> money to do research and to live on?  If you have any better ideas of how
> scientists can get the money to do this, I'd sure be interested in hearing
> them.
>
> > And many labs I have worked in don't even know how to do a proper
> > cell count...
>
>      I'm sorry you've had such a negative experience in science.  Still,
> not everyone has had uniformly bad experiences.  Some scientists even know
> how to do cell counts.
>
> > But...one would think that after 15 years, we would definitively
> > know whether AZT actually works or not???
> >
> > Don't you think?
> >
> > Instead, we have dueling studies.
> >
> > And AZT is not alone in this... there are many drugs in which
> > contradicting studies come out.
> >
> > And any half-way intelligent person should be able to recognize
> > that such dueling studies aren't a factor of a poor understanding
> > of complex issues.... but more due to intense competition at it's
> > *highest* level.
>
>      And any half-way intelligent person would realize that science has
> always been a dialectic process.  Look at scientific controversies in
> previous eras: spontaneous generation (Lamarkians) versus those who
> believed in reproduction, or the Darwinians who believed in natural
> selection versus those who believed that evolution resulted when organisms
> [...]

We sure will. Thanks, Greg, for yet another good crop of comments and
rebuttals.

Dr. Louis H. Ferland
Centre de Recherche, Hotel-Dieu de Montreal
Dept de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal
Phone: (514) 843-2757     FAX: (514) 843-2719