Reproduction of Cellular Machinery

Tim Taylor timt at aisb.ed.ac.uk
Mon Jan 15 10:17:01 EST 1996

I am writing a paper dealing with issues of self-reference and self-
replication in computer programs. To illustrate a point, I wish to
use as an example the process of reproduction in biological organisms
- what I have written so far is this:

"In eukaryotic sexual organisms, the single-celled zygote inherits cell
machinery from the egg cell. This machinery is sufficient to interpret
and process the zygotic DNA and begin the process of cell division and
differentiation. As the organism grows, sections of its DNA are decoded
which produce more cellular machinery. By the time this organism comes
to reproduce, some of _its_ cellular machinery is contained within
germ line cells (if it is female) to `bootstrap' the next generation
in the same way."

I realise that this is a very simplified version of what really
happens, but this is as much detail as I want to go in to. I am only
interested in describing the most general principles; all that
I'm worried about is whether this account is _correct_ (as far as it
goes). Any comments on this would be most welcome,

Thanks in advance,

Tim.