Peer Review Anonymity on Trial <Pine.3.89.9601140224.B15173-0100000@mistral.ERE.UMontreal.CA>

Ferland Louis H. ferlandl at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Mon Jan 15 03:33:56 EST 1996

On Sun, 14 Jan 1996 U27111 at UICVM.CC.UIC.EDU wrote:

> Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 18:02:37 CST
> From:U27111 at UICVM.CC.UIC.EDU
> To: bioforum at net.bio.net
> Subject: Re: Peer Review Anonymity on Trial <Pine.3.89.9601140224.B15173-0100000 at mistral.ERE.UMontreal.CA>
>

> Dr. Ferland's previous post on this thread is a very good example
> of some of the 'attitudes' one has to face in this community.
>
> He spends 143 lines repeating all of the previous posting... and
> then only responds with 2 lines of comments and 4 lines of a sig.
>
> See...
>
> >We sure will. Thanks, Greg, for yet another good crop of comments
> >and rebuttals.
>
> >Dr. Louis H. Ferland
> >Centre de Recherche, Hotel-Dieu de Montreal
> >Dept de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal
> >Phone: (514) 843-2757     FAX: (514) 843-2719
>
> He fails to take into consideration the amount of money and
> computer space which is involved in posting such repetitive
> nonsense... only to respond with a few 'original' lines.
>
> This is a waste.
>
> Some systems tend to remind people of this... you would get an
> automatic response stating that over 50% of your note is quotes...
> "Are you sure to want to post this?"
>
> Thus... I am sure he is very well aware of what his is doing... he
> just chooses to ignore it?
>
> Surely this doesn't mean HIM?  This is proper net etiquette for
> others to have to observe... and not him?  Does he think he is
> above this?
>
> And why does he do this?
>
> Is it because he is a very busy man who doesn't have time to sit
> and edit what he is posting?
>
> Or is it because he is too lazy to upload/download/edit his
>
> I don't know?  Maybe a little bit of both?
>
> I am only bringing this up because I have been reading this
> newsgroup for a while... and it's something which is done
> constantly - and not just by him.
>
> The majority of the other groups do not do this... they follow
> proper net etiquette (for the most part).
>
> It seems that as long as it's free to academic persons and they
> don't have to directly absorb the cost... therefore it doesn't
> matter?
>
> Such attitudes can be found in purchasing lab equipment as well...
> or just plain spending government monies.
>
> Great wastes goes on... then complaints that there isn't a yearly
> increase in NIH monies?
>
> I know there is a lot more to this issue... and not just waste
> being a problem.
>
> But why is it that certain academics believe they are above what
> everybody else has to abide by? ... in general
>
> Just curious,
>
> -Kathy

Kathy, (in response to your curiosity)
(please follow in your text, QUOTED AT LENGTH ABOVE)

1) My 2 line comment applied to several of the items appearing in the
preceeding 143 lines (thank you for counting for me), as its content
makes implicit. Quoting them was not out of order.

2) The system on which I work does not send me the warning you mention,
automatically or otherwise.

3) It does mean me: I am not a Netiquette artist, I am a scientist. Sorry
if I have offended you with my lack of savvy in this respect.

4) I don't think I am above this, anything, or anyone. You don't know me:
don't judge me.

5) We are all busy. I am also a freshman Netter and I haven't found how
to select blocks of text in my e-mail software (PINE). The instructions
are to put ctrl-carets (^) at either end of the text I want to select,
but this doesn't seem to work in "French land" where a caret is a
circumflex accent and is not located at the same place on our keyboards.
This makes deleting long blocks of text very tedious.
I should have asked my systems manager, as this is an editing feature I
would use quite often (though not in my previous posting you refer to,
for reason explained in item 1). Call it busy, call it lazy, what have you.

6) You don't know? but you judge me?

7) If its done constanty (sic), not only by me, why do you pick on me
(when I was actually quoting the comments I *was* commenting on, though I
admit to other offenses of this sort)? Why make your comments personal,
yet post them publicly?

8) Come check my books before you start questionning the appropriateness
of my lab expenses. My conduct in this matter is irreproachable. Your
comment is very close to libel!

9) You made a rather long posting yourself (I'll let you count the number
of lines, since you seem to have the time to spare), which brought
absolutely nothing to the thread. Is this proper netiquette?