Peer Rev: Harriman-Kathy exchange

William Tivol tivol at news.wadsworth.org
Thu Jan 18 14:16:16 EST 1996

Alexander Berezin (berezin at MCMAIL.CIS.MCMASTER.CA) wrote:

[SNIP]

: Whatever the particularities, Imanishi-Kari
: suffered enough and I hope she will be vindicated.

	If you think Imanishi-Kari suffered enough, what about O'Toole, the
whistle-blower who was, essentially, forced out of science.  I have heard
nothing lately about where she is, so maybe someone has hired her to do
research again.  Whatever the outcome of Imanishi-Kari's work, it was obvious
at the time that following the published procedure did not reproduce the
results.  What happened to O'Toole as a consequence of pointing this out was
quite chilling.

: And, I fear, they are not. My generous 90 % (assuming
: 10 % of skunks) might be an overestimate.

	Sturgeon's law has it in reverse:  "90% of everything is crap."
				Yours,
				Bill Tivol