conversion of binocular scope to phase contrast microscope

David W Walker dave at diwalk.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 18 07:02:16 EST 1996

In article: <00003368+00000c81 at msn.com>  the4bps at msn.com (Bonnie Polan)
writes:

> does anyone know whether or not a binocular microscope made about 18
> years ago (bought for med school) can be converted into a dark field,
> phase contrast microscope?  If this is possible, how would we go
> about having this done?  Any help would be appreciated.

A few suggestions.

1) Dark field - dark field condensers are available from most makers. If the
sub-stage condenser is held in by a clamping ring, this is often a standard
size, and you could use a dark field condenser from another possibly cheaper
supplier, but you would need to check that it worked correctly. The existing
objectives are OK for dark field.

Cheap and cheerful (for the amateur or school) - black opaque discs of various sizes supported on clear plastic can be put in the filter holder of the sub-stage condenser. By trial and error a disc of the right size to obtain dark field for each object
ve can be found. A similar technique using contrasting coloured discs can create beautiful effects by Rheinberg illumination  (see textooks)

2) Phase contrast - a phase contrast condenser is required, with a phase
contrast ring for each phase contrast objective purchased. A special
telecope to insert into the eye tube is also usually needed to align the
set-up. Most of the larger makers will supply a range of objectives and a
condenser etc.

Dave Walker

 David W Walker    EMail dave at diwalk.demon.co.uk

 See the new life form at