Headhunters vs ads are they mutually exclusive strategies?

Dave Jensen SMI at sedona.net
Fri Jan 19 19:05:03 EST 1996

In article <4doq9q$o97 at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, davidhartr at aol.com
(DavidHartr) wrote:

> A question:
>
>     Once an employer has been contacted by a jobseeker it then becomes
> impossible for a headhunter to  present that person to the employer at
> least for  certain length of time. The dilemma now arises. I have one or
> more headhunters taking a keen interest in placing me and are optimistic
> my chances as a candidate. I could actually reduce my chances my answering
> ads (which as many readers are already aware are often for nonexistent
> vacancies).   The same would go for mass mailings to potential employers.
> Would it therefore be advisable to stop contacting employers other than in
> exceptional circumstances as in an ad where I matched every single
> requirement (what planet am I from   > :-)  ) or in a referral from a
> colleague (a more likely scenario but still doesn't happen that much).
>
>     It seems potentially possible for a candidate to destroy any possible
> chances with headhunters this way. For example by sending just one
> unsolicited resume sent to a division of Johnson and Johnson ends up on
> the database of the entire group and the candidate would be off limits to
> headhunters for any number of positions.  Of course this would be of less
> relevance with the more no-nonsense employers. who shred unwanted resumes
> and would have no evidence that the candidate had previously been in touch
> with them <<grin>>.

David --

While it might be true that some types of headhunters (contingency) would
be put-off by your mailing of resumes to companies, in the great scheme of
things you would be doing yourself a great disservice to stop writing
companies where you see the possibility of a fit.

Anyone who tells you "Just leave your job search to me. I'll get you a
job" is not only an unrealistic headhunter, but probably someone who has
worked there for four months and is himself/herself a former unemployed
person. DO NOT TRUST ANYONE OTHER THAN YOURSELF in this critical area.
Your gut feeling about a company and an ad you have seen will be the
determining factor, not what the recruiters tell you.

Quality recruiting firms are hired by companies because they WANT and NEED
them, not just to pay them a fee for floating in a resume. So, because of
this, they get paid regardless of whether the personnel dept. stumbles
onto a copy of your resume that was in their file from an earlier mailing
on your part. On the other hand, if someone from a recruiting firm slips a
resume in on their fax machine, uninvited, they will do their best to
avoid the fee involved in hiring you.

My suggestion if that you nix all general contact with companies about
non-specific positions (ie: "Dear Johnson and Johnson ... "), and above
all else, DON'T do any resume mailing campaigns en masse. Then, reply to
ads that fit and work with headhunters on their assignments as well.

Good luck and have fun in the new job that comes as a result.

Dave Jensen, Managing Director, Search Masters Int'l
http://smi.bio.com/