Peer Review: HISTORY

Keith Robison robison at mito.harvard.edu
Sat Jan 20 12:06:47 EST 1996

U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu wrote:
: berezin at MCMAIL.CIS.MCMASTER.CA (Alexander Berezin) wrote on 18 Jan
: 1996 14:01:02 -0800:

: As well as some talk about putting some sort've a band on foreign
: PhDs coming into this country and taking jobs away?  [Apparently
: and good portion of this PhD explosion comes from foreign doctors?]

I believe there is legislation in the U.S. Congress to change
(yet again) the immigration laws.  One provision would be to make
it much harder for non-citizens with U.S. Ph.D.'s to get jobs
in this country (basically, an employer would have to certify
that the particular alien was uniquely qualified and that no
American citizen qualified equally).

: And I've said it before, I'll say it again... if *we* fail to do
: something constructive about this current situation - it will
: eventually been decided by other's outside our community (possibly
: by the government?)?

Yep.  Though I would take the more pessimistic view -- whatever
we do, if there is a nice way for a pol to capture headlines,
they will step in (and on).

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Molecular & Cellular Biology
Department of Genetics

robison at mito.harvard.edu