My employer asked me to falsify data

U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu
Sun Jan 21 02:56:22 EST 1996

Back on Wed, 27 Dec 1995 05:03:08 UTC, an153878 at anon.penet.fi
posted X-Anonymously-To: bionet.general:

>I am wondering how common it is in the biotech industry to
>encounter data falsification. Has anyone else out there
>encountered it? Does anyone think the FDA would lift their
>eyebrows if they were to read this post? Would the FDA even
>be interested in knowing the names of my employers?  What are
>the legal implications of being employed by a company that
>submits falsified data to the FDA? What are the legal implications
>of being named a co-author on a publication which contains
>fabricated data? How difficult is it to prove allegations like
>this?

If you are still out there reading this newsgroup...  I just wanted
to share with you a quote I just read by John Edsall, in referring
to Margot O'Tool, during his testimony in front of John Dingel's
subcommittee:

In "Science on Trial: The Whistle-blower, The Accused and the Nobel
Laureate" by Sarasohn.  p.68.

     "I think it's very hard for me to say how the plight of
     the whistle-blower can be made better except I think
     we've got to have increased respect for the people who
     seek to detect - who recognize fraud and misconduct in
     any area and speak up about it," Edsall said.  "The sense
     of loyalty among members of the community tends to be
     very strong, and a whistle-blower is usually regarded as
     disloyal.  That almost inevitably involves a painful
     conflict.

     "I think that it's only fair to warn a potential whistle-
     blower that he or she is likely to face a great deal of
     trouble and distress.  On the other hand, for some
     people, fortunately or unfortunately, the distress of not
     having obeyed one's conscience may be more troubling than
     the other difficulties they have to face later on."

I hope this helps... for this is probably the best advice anyone
can give you on your matter.

-Kathy