How do you weigh a powder...?

Takashi Yoshida i22611 at cctu.cc.tohoku.ac.jp
Fri Jan 19 04:50:27 EST 1996

Hello, people.
I am working in a laboratory of microbiology in Japan.
In this labo, all of the staffs never use a spatula when
weighing peptone, yeast extract and other nutrient powders.
Instead, they spill the powder onto a paper by gently
druming the bottom of bottles (what a skillful method !).
I don't understand why they never use a sparula for
weighing such fine powdered material. When I ask the
reason,  they say that they fear a contamination of
nutrient bottles by unfavorable microorganisms.
But, I fear the fine powder of nutrient will be spread
over the room.
How do you think about it?
Do you think I am lacking in something fundamental
biochemical knowledge? Or, is there any good way?
--
吉田 孝 Takashi Yoshida
Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan.
email:  yoshida at biochem.tohoku.ac.jp