What happens to naked DNA in the environment?

ola Myklebost, PhD olam at radium.uio.no
Mon Jan 22 06:28:24 EST 1996

One of the newspapers here has got in touch with a "nonconformist"
scientist and are trying to dramatize the risk of pouring DNA down
the drain. (The headline was "May become as bad as Chernobyl"!!,
actually the scientist had said "..  worse than Chernobyl")

Clearly, DNA will generally be degraded immediately in sewage, which
is a medium "well designed" (selected) for metabolizing DNA and
other biomolecules. Similarly, naked DNA released into the
environment will have the same fate.

However, can someone please point me to any research into this
matter? I have searched through medline with keywors like nucleic
acid and environment but didn't find a lot.

Please respond by mail.