Enhancer / Silencer

Kalifa ! rufer at novsrv1.pio1.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Jan 25 07:05:41 EST 1996

Hello,

simple and also complex question: I am looking for
elements which act as enhancer in one tissue, but
as silencer in another.

Ideally, this would mean that a promoter has a basal
level of transcription in several tissues. A trans-acting
factor in tissue A binds the enhancer and transcription is
increased, whereas a factor in tissue B would
recognize the same (or an overlapping sequence) and
transcription is decreased below basal level.

Any hints, references or vague ideas ? Could you mail
them directly to my e-mail address (will post a summary !)

un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de
or
rufer at novsrv1.pio1.uni-heidelberg.de

Thanks in advance: Clemens