Funding: What Changes ?

Thu Jan 25 13:37:45 EST 1996

To recent postings by Harriman and Robison:

I was delighted to find that info on individual grants
from NIH is indeed availbale on WWW

The fact that I post so much on funding, peer review, etc
means that I am dissatisfied with the present system
and want to see at least the following changes:

   1) de-secretization of PR scheme
   2) more equatable funding scheme ('fund researchers,
not proposals' on a sliding scale)

You may not like the above, but these are the points
I have articulated and prepared to defend further.

But you seem to be happy with system and generally
did not seem to propose changes to it (unless,
I miss something). This is just fine (no-one want
to change system which makes him happy), but I remain
curious about the following:

If (in your view) my proposals are non-sensical, than why
you bother argue with me ? What drives your to post so
much in reply to my postings ?

And IF INDEED YOU WANT CHANGES, than what sort of changes
you propose, and how you propose to implement them ?

Alexander A. Berezin, PhD
Department of Engineering Physics
McMaster University, Hamilton,
Ontario, Canada, L8S 4L7