Things look pretty dim...

Bert Gold bgold at ITSA.UCSF.EDU
Fri Jan 26 00:42:44 EST 1996

Alex,

I think you misunderstand.

Roizman is (I think) head of a department at Chicago.  He is an 'elder
statesman' of science having written and edited many books.  If he
is recruiting, what looks like to me, is a near-neophyte foreign
post-doc (the ad. is in the Chronicle of Higher Ed. this week), then
it means that he has only limited funds.  Here in the US, post-doc.
salaries, with few exceptions, are scaled by NIH.  They are price-fixed,
so to speak.  There is not a free market for the labor of a post-doc. in
that there are restrictions on how much and how little you can pay them.
$ 25,000 is the middle of the scale.  $ 32,300 is the top.  I think around
$ 19,000 is the bottom these days.  The fact that Roizman is advertising
at a particular salary may well mean that his funds are limited and
my point is, Roizman should be hiring MANY people at MANY levels, that
is, if science were healthy, which it is apparently not.

Bert Gold, Ph.D.
University of California, San Francisco
School of Medicine