Change of genus of Atlantic salmon

Mario Antonio Gutierrez Gutierrez magg at NS.UCA.RAIN.NI
Fri Jan 26 14:23:16 EST 1996

To : Mr. Maike Stron
Excuse me about your question, but I do not know of the taxonomy of the
cold water fishes, I only have experience with tropical fishes.

Reraeding to the change  of genus of Atlantic salmon (from Salmo to
Onchorhynchus), I do not have information of this change. Remember, there
are other species of salmon of the generus Onchorhynchus. The difference
between this two generus is a genetic feature (cromosomic number). I
thing that the genus is still Salmo.

The following is a list of common and scientific name of some Salmonidae.

COMMON NEME				SCIENTIFIC NAME
Rainbow trout *  . . . . . . . . . . . Onchorhynchus  nykis
masu salmon      . . . . . . . . . . . Onchorhynchus  masou
amago salmon     . . . . . . . . . . . Onchorhynchus  rhodurus
Japanese char    . . . . . . . . . . . Salvelinus pluvirus
Alaska salmon (kokanee)* . . . . . . . Onchorhynchus nerkas
brown truot      . . . . . . . . . . . Salmo  trutta
Atlantic salmon  . . . . . . . . . . . Salmo salar
silver salmon    . . . . . . . . . . . Onchorhynchus  kisutch
royal salmon     . . . . . . . . . . . Onchorhynchus  tshawytscha
pink salmon      . . . . . . . . . . . Onchorhynchus  gorbucha

              * Farming Japan  Magazine , Jan. 1996.

For more infromation, you can contac with the Oregon University, Michigan
University or Auburn University.
If you have any question about Central American fishes, please do not
hesitate to contact me.

Deparment of Ecology
Universidad Centroamerina
Managua, Nicaragua.