Ritalin & Kids

Charles Moore CharlesNMoore at msn.com
Sat Jan 27 11:11:59 EST 1996

Our experience has been good, no side effects.  Others I know have only
had problems with things like lip chapping or figgity type habits.
You can certainly tell when they are off of it.  Even though it helps
them concentrate, you still have to work with them to help them
understand that it is only an aid and they still have to improve
their
control over theirselves.  Our doctor feels that they should only be
on it a couple of years to help them learn the difference and
appreciate what is happening to them.  I also was diagnosed with it
but growing up we didn't have money to do anything about it so I went
through the school of hard knocks -- literaly -- learning self
control.  There are alternative drugs that the doctor can perscribe.
You might want them to try something like Zoloft first and see if it
works ok.  According to my doctor they still arn't sure why ritalin
works.  Zoloft on the other hand works on the seritonin (I'm probably
not spelling it correctly) in the brain.  Seritonin helps control the
transfer of nerve signals.