HELP NEEDED

Stacy Ferguson sef at med.unc.edu
Fri Jan 26 07:44:37 EST 1996

In article <b25.8/9/95M49.20054161 at undefined>,  <eariord at ibm.net> wrote:
>For my AP Biology course, I have to write an essay.  Here is the topic:
>Assume that a paricular genetic condition in a mammalian species causes an inability to digest dtarch.  This disorder occurs with equal frequency in males and females.  In most cases, neither paent of affected offspring has the condition.
>a.  Describe the most probable pattern of inheritance for this condition.  Explain your reasoning.  Include in your discussion a sample ceoss sufficient to verify your proposed pattern.
>b.  Explain how mutation could cause this inability to digest.
>c.  Describe how modern techniques of molecular biology could be used to determine whether the mutant allele is present in a given individual.
>If anyone has any ideas, I would like to see them.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.
>				A grateful student,
>				Laura Riordan

Look, kid, if this is an AP course then I assume that you're more
intelligent than your average bear. This being the case, none of this
problems should be particularly difficult for you. A simple understanding
of Mendelian genetics and one trip to the library to look up starch
metabolism and you should have the answers to your questions in one
homework session. This is not a forum to where you can expect others
to do your homework for you. None of these are trick questions and
the only thing stopping you is your laziness.

Stacy