renaming a department: connotation of "Life Sciences"

Robert M. Ross serross at sci.shizuoka.ac.jp
Mon Jul 22 23:22:28 EST 1996

At Shizuoka University in Japan the biology and geology departments have
merged, and we are trying to determine an English name.  The department
has three sections, pure biology, pure biology, and environmental sciences
(those at the interface of the two fields).  A possibility is "Life and
Earth Sciences," but one opinion that we have heard is that the term "Life
Sciences" is usually used in association with medical studies.  Any
opinions about this, or alternative suggestions, would be grately
appreciated.

Robert M. Ross
<serross at sci.shizuoka.ac.jp>