STATINS - cholesterol reducing drugs - HELP!

Morris Reinisch shriner at nai.net
Mon Jun 3 05:33:41 EST 1996

Does anyone have any experience (personal or otherwise) with these drugs?
Are there any know side effects, particuarly are they carcinogenic?  Do
they affect the liver?  How long has anyone taken them without adverse
effects?

I have a high cholesterol count (248 mg/dl) and was advised by my doctor
that I should start taking a statin drug.  I am only 47 years old and do
not want to start a lifetime of taking this drug unless I absolutely have
to.  I do have a risk factor in that my father had a heart attack when he
was 48 but then lived until he was 67.

Any thoughts or experience would be very helpful.

Thanks,
MNR