CANADIAN COUSIN HONESTY ABOUT SCIENCE

Bert Gold bgold at itsa.ucsf.edu
Wed Jun 5 09:59:22 EST 1996

Why are our Canadian colleagues able to be so honest about the state
of Science, while we down here in the states are not?

Ricardo Moro's frank disclosure this morning that PEER REVIEW sucks,
and that the process of scientific publication is more about
justification of funding than dissemenation of information,
appears right on the mark to me.

But Ricardo Moro is from Vancouver.

I know that there is much wonderful science (particularly genetics)
going on in British Columbia, and generally in Canada, but do our
colleagues up there have a patent on wisdom?

Last year there was an enormous strike at the University of Manitoba,
over issues having to do with academic freedom. Biologists
were in the forefront, leading the strike...

Here in the states Academic Freedom is slowly but surely becoming
lessened; but aside from the Yale Graduate Students (who garner
little or no support from their faculty colleagues), I see no
protests.

Can someone help me understand the conundrum of why Canadians have
taken to speaking out, while American academicians appear
to have given in?

Bert Gold
San Francisco