LEUKEAMIC CYTOGENETICS

Bert Gold bgold at itsa.ucsf.edu
Fri Jun 7 15:37:16 EST 1996

Doctor,

Since you are doing clinical work it is important that your stick
to a well worked out clinical protocol.

For leukemic cells, my former mentor Jorge Yunis always told me that
very high resolution chromosome banding is best, so that the possibility
of predicting favorable (and unfavorable) courses of treatment can
best be predicted.  To adhere to Jorge's suggestion would involve
blocking the cells with a cell cycle inhibitor and then washing out
this block in order to synchronize the cells and then stopping
the cells in late prophase or early metaphase (with colcemid)
so that the chromosomes are maximally enlongated.  Jorge invented
this technique twenty years ago, and it seems to have helped a
few investigators a bit.

In any case, clinical protocols for this purpose are available
in the ACT Handbook (American Cyto-Technology Handbook) which
you should be able to find somewhere down there in South Africa.

If not, consult with my friend Dr. Mary Williams at ONCOR corporation
in Gaithersburg, Maryland or one of her technical associates.
They have an 800 number (although I'm not sure that's good for
South Africa) and she can give you the name and address (and cost)
of the manual.  Alternatively, you can write me back and I'll
get the information for you.

In sum, you are asking for us to post a standard protocol for an
important diagnostic technique which each laboratory does slightly
differently.  It is therefore important that you decide how you want
to proceed based on an authoritative source (not my banter on the
internet).

Sincerely,

 Bert Gold, Ph.D.                         "Seeing much, Suffering much,
 University of California, San Francisco   and studying much,
 School of Medicine                        These are the three pillars
 Program in Medical Genetics               of learning." -- Benjamin Disraeli

HERBERT LUDEWICK (075BERT at CHIRON.WITS.AC.ZA) wrote:
: COULD ANYONE PLEASE HELP US?
:
: WE WERE USING TC ARRESTING SOLUTION TO ARREST LEUKEAMIC CELL CULTURES,
: AND FOUND THAT THIS WORKED VERY WELL FOR OVERNIGHT EXPOSURE AS WELL AS
: TWO HOURS AND 30 MINUTE EXPOSURE. DUE TO THE DISCONTINUING OF THIS
: PRODUCT WE HAVE TO SWITCH TO COLCEMID OR COLCHICINE. COULD YOU PLEASE
: SUGGEST THE BEST ALTERNATIVES AS WELL AS THE CONCENTRATIONS AND EXPOSURE
: TIMES (INCLUDING OVERNIGHT EXPOSURE).
:
:
: