CYCLOHEXIMIDE & Protein synthesis INHIBITION!

Richard A. Lockshin yo_doc at usa.pipeline.com
Tue Jun 11 09:03:55 EST 1996

If you are actually using this in intact animals, it is not a good idea.
Even in vitro, cycloheximide will eventually kill cells.  1 mcg/ml is
commonly used, though lower is better if you can.  What people look for is
the following:  they have a system in which apoptosis occurs early and is
easily recognized (generally a few hours).  Then, in the presence of
cyclohex, they prevent this death for a day or two.  In some systems, if
one withdraws the cyclohex, the cells may recover, or may shortly
thereafter initiate apoptosis.  Most cells will finally run out of an
essential enzyme and die after 1 or 2 days.