NIH MUST REFORM OR DISBAND!

Frank Heasley DrHeasley at Chemistry.com
Mon Jun 17 16:56:41 EST 1996

In a call to return to the good old days of yore, Marc Andelman
inscribed thusly:

>  Hi Bert.  If you are a devout Federalist, and are thinking
> of becoming a Republican, please do not be offended if I
> suggest going one better.  You should become a Confederate.

As a fellow slave trader (er, recruiter?) I might be tempted to raise
the old "Stars and Bars" myself, while contemplating the positive
influences on our business. After all, what better venue for the
merchandising of people than the old auctions.  Why, I can hear it now:
"Come one, come all.  We got scientists.  We gots engineers.  We gots
technicians and CEO's.  On'y the finest.  Don' be shah folks, jes' step
raht up and tek a look at these outstanding specimens!"

And then, there are the ancillary benefits, too.  Just think, a time
when "permanent placement" really means PERMANENT! "Send out the dogs,
massuh! We's got a escaped scientist!" Ouuwooooo......

Ah, but then back to reality.  I'm afraid that we may already be there,
without knowing it.  Even the old underground railroad is operating its
well oiled gears, except that instead of freeing slaves by sending them
north, it's freeing workers by sending their jobs out of the country.
Once again, science has returned to its roots as a hobby/toy to amuse
the wealthy.

Times change, but the mechanisms stay the same, even if the results are
different.

So, if the revolution's already over, we didn't even get to fight.  The
old ways have returned, the south has risen, but the yankees rather than
going home have been assimilated.

Frank
FSG Online: http://www.chemistry.com/jobs