NIH MUST REFORM OR DISBAND!

Mark A. Friesel mfriesel at beta.tricity.wsu.edu
Mon Jun 17 14:42:04 EST 1996

On Sat, 15 Jun 1996, Bert Gold wrote:

> Last summer I had a personal and important telephone conversation with a
> high ranking Republican Party official who told me that it was almost
> impossible to clean up the corruption in Washington.
>
> He told me that he knew that NIH was supposed to act like a meritocracy,
> but that well, he also knew that the system operated as one guy patting
> the back of another in providing research funds.
>
> This high ranking person further told me that there was no way to stop it.
>
> That the only way he knew that bureaucracy ever got smaller in Washington
> was to close it down.  Had I heard of 'The Base-Closing Commission', I was
> asked...

I knew it.  Do you note that he first states there is no way to stop
corruption, then switches the topic to the size of the bureaucracy.  A
model of propaganda rather than rational thought.

> So, summing up, and noting that the tome on Peer Review which I've
> just posted verily suggests adding many layers of bureaucracy to
> an already overburdened system, I am left as a devout federalist
> wondering whether my Republican informant on the Hill wasn't
> correct in asserting to me that there is no way to diminish the
> corruption of our nation's resource distribution apparatus.

Of course, your contact is either incorrect and there is a way, or he is
telling the truth hence he must be part of the corruption.

> It almost makes me think about becoming a Republican.

Why?  If the system is clean enough, then why support a party which
has diminisheds research funding?  If it is corrupt, why support a party
which has diminisheds research funding?  There really is only one way to
clean a corrupt government in this country, and that is to make the wealthy
and influential suffer the consequences of its corruption, but require
that it exist and act none-the-less.