Xenopus laevis....take note :)

Ricardo Moro 73244.2540 at CompuServe.COM
Tue Jun 18 02:53:22 EST 1996

Dear Lisa:

Xenopus is a wonderful frog. I got all exited once when in
Uruguay a fellow by the name of Phillips form England went there
and gave a chat on how he proved that DNA is not lost in the
differentiation process of a cell. His work (circa 1965)
consisted in finding 2 variantsw of Xenopus one with 1 nucleole
and the other with 2. He then took the nucleous of ONE cell
(intestinal, but then he also did it with neurons (these do not
normally divide!!!!!)) and placed it inside an irradiated egg
cell. The donor had 1 nucleole and the the recipient 2 (or
viceversa). That way he KNEW where the genetic material came
from. He used to get ~ 7% rate of success and fully developed and
healthy frogs!!!.

It is the first cloning experiment I know of and he should have
gotten the Nobel for that one, but...

Beatiful papers if you are interested in research in general and
Xenopus in particular.

Regards, Ricardo Moro, Vancouver.

--
Ricardo Moro