AN HONEST APPRAISAL OF PEER REVIEW

Mark A. Friesel mfriesel at beta.tricity.wsu.edu
Wed Jun 19 10:47:11 EST 1996

On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, Arthur E. Sowers wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, Phil Koopman wrote:
>

> > Bert Gold <bgold at itsa.ucsf.edu> wrote:
> > >PAPER in FASEB Journal (1993) volume 7  pages 619-621
> > >On giraffes and peer review
> > >D. R. FORSDYKE
> > >
> > >Department of Biochemistry, Queen's University, Kingston,
> > >Ontario, Canada. K7L3N6
> >
> > Peer review could also happen because the people in charge of the
> > money aren't able to make the decisions themselves.  For example, with

> > I recently came from an industrial lab where the funding allocation
> > changed from "benign" dictatorship to a group-grope model.  IMHO
> > productivity plunged as people spent most of their time chasing a pool
> > of money that diminished with each downsizing (sound familiar?).
>
> Ah, does that sound familiar! And, I do presume you spelled "group-grope"
> correctly? It seems like a variation on the "musical chairs" game. Less
> chairs than people. And for every person that gets knocked out, they take
> away two, not one, chair.

This is amazing!  Musical chairs was precisely my (unstated) description
of the situation at PNL last year!  To be fair, they're also being jerked
around by the DOE, but do you know when the last time was that I
heard the word 'ability' used to describe desirable qualities of employees
or management in my twelve years there?  I never heard it, not once.