WHAT WILL THE REPUBLICANS DO WITH NIH?

Bert Gold bgold at itsa.ucsf.edu
Mon Jun 24 13:41:09 EST 1996

My point is that unless the United States acts as a community,
believing that spending money on research is worthwhile,
because helping each other is a worthy activity,
NIH will likely go the way of NASA.

This is my last Usenet comment.

Thank you for listening.  Sorry to have offended so
many of you.  Perhaps someday you meet me, and tell me
I once told you something important for you.

Bert Gold
San Francisco

Sean Eddy (eddy at wol.wustl.edu) wrote:
: In article <4qk35q$r48 at itssrv1.ucsf.edu> bgold at itsa.ucsf.edu (Bert Gold) writes:
:   > How little you know or understand, Mr. Eddy, if you believe that
:   > only NCHGR's portion of the $12 billion funds the genome effort.
:
: Give me something substantive, Bert. Name the NIH-funded genome
: sequencing or mapping centers that aren't on the NCGHR budget. Tell us
: how much money you think the NIH is spending on the Human Genome
: Project, since you seem to think it's a substantial fraction instead
: of the few percent that I think it is. Tell me what your original
: point was, when you seemed to be arguing that after the genome
: sequence was known, NIH would have no mission left.
:
: Or we into NIH conspiracy theories and accusations of money laundering
: now?
:
: I'm not going to rise to your flame bait, except to say that I suspect
: I understand the human genome project a hell of a lot better than you.
: If you don't have anything to say beyond the usual vague innuendo,
: I'll retreat to my lurking so you and Alex can continue to grind your
: axes in undisturbed cacophony.
:
: --
: - Sean Eddy
: - Dept. of Genetics, Washington University School of Medicine
: - 660 S. Euclid Box 8232, St. Louis MO 63110, USA
: - mailto://eddy@genetics.wustl.edu http://genome.wustl.edu/eddy
: