IDEA:HHG to Funding Schemes (UK+EU)

Dr. B. Popping bpopping at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Jun 26 04:12:33 EST 1996

Dear All,

Having been to countless meetings dealing with different schemes for
funding of research projects and being aware that old funding schemes
disappear and new ones are set up almost monthly, I find it quite
difficute to keep up-to-date. Especially when it comes to eligibility,
things become very difficult.
My idea was to create an interactive WWW page, a 'Hitchhiker's Guide to
national and European Funding Schemes'. Here you would be asked SIMPLE
straight-forward multiple choice questions where you can tick one box or
more and by evaluating your answers, the programs will lead you to the
appropriate funding schemes.

This would countless hours of reading through the glossy brochures for
the different schemes just to find out at the end that you are NOT
eligible for funding.

I discussed this idea with representatives of BBSRC and DTI. An although
I had plenty of support for the participating researchers, it comes
bottom-of-the-list for DTI and BBSRC, either because their Information
Technology Department is behind in their technology (which I can't
believe being true) or because they were more concerned with the fact
that their staff has recently been cut by half.