Xenopus laevis....take note :)

Kenneth Kao kkao at morgan.ucs.mun.ca
Wed Jun 26 12:30:31 EST 1996

Ricardo Moro (73244.2540 at CompuServe.COM) wrote:
: Dear Lisa:

: Xenopus is a wonderful frog. I got all exited once when in
: Uruguay a fellow by the name of Phillips form England went there
: and gave a chat on how he proved that DNA is not lost in the
: differentiation process of a cell. His work (circa 1965)
: consisted in finding 2 variantsw of Xenopus one with 1 nucleole
: and the other with 2. He then took the nucleous of ONE cell
: (intestinal, but then he also did it with neurons (these do not
: normally divide!!!!!)) and placed it inside an irradiated egg
: cell. The donor had 1 nucleole and the the recipient 2 (or
: viceversa). That way he KNEW where the genetic material came
: from. He used to get ~ 7% rate of success and fully developed and
: healthy frogs!!!.

: It is the first cloning experiment I know of and he should have
: gotten the Nobel for that one, but...

: Beatiful papers if you are interested in research in general and
: Xenopus in particular.

: Regards, Ricardo Moro, Vancouver.

: --
: Ricardo Moro