Phil Gramm proposes funding increase; was: WHAT WILL THE REPUBLICANS DO WITH NIH?

Brad Keele nbkeele at utmb.edu
Wed Jun 26 13:03:25 EST 1996

The Houston Chronicle carried a story off the AP wire in the June
24, 1996 edition (p. 14A) that seems encouraging.

I'll paraphrase the best I can.

Senator Phil Gramm (R-TX) is introducing legislation to increase the
amount of tax dollars spent to fund scientific research.  About 30
years ago, 5.7 % of the federal budget (6¢ per tax dollar) was spent
on funding science.  Currently, about 2¢ of every tax dollar (1.9%
of the federal budget) is spent on research; going to NIH, NASA, and
NSF (and the research dept. of other gov't agencies).  Gramm's
proposal is to raise this to 4¢ per tax dollar by the year 2002.  Of
course, this means other programs (as yet unspecified) will be cut.
 But, the plan is to list these scientific agencies as separate
budget items.

Why is Gramm doing this?  The article suggests that he believes we
have fallen behind other countries (e.g Germany, Japan) in science
funding.  When we spent more on science in the past, it made us
"the scientific leader of the world."  And, "Unless we invest in
technology we're not going to remain a world leader."

Even if I wasn't a delegate to the Texas state GOP convention last
weekend, I would still support the efforts of Senator Gramm.  As a
senior member on both the Committee on the Budget and the Committee
on Finance, my guess is that Sen. Gramm may have the pull to enact
such increases in scientific spending.  So, call Phil Gramm
(202-224-2934) and tell him you support enhancing science funding in
the United States.

In article <Pine.A32.3.93.960623064754.12971A-100000 at itsa.ucsf.edu>,
Bert says...

>In nine years, the complete DNA sequence
>of the human genome will be known.
>
>In nine years, we will probably have a Republican President.
>(Republicans have been President 2/3rds of my lifetime; I am 42).
>
>In nine years, if not before then, the Republicans will begin to
>return the money used to fund NIH to the states.
>
> Bert Gold, Ph.D.                         "Seeing much, Suffering
much,
> University of California, San Francisco   and studying much,
> School of Medicine                        These are the three
pillars
> Program in Medical Genetics               of learning." --
Benjamin Disrae

--
N. Bradley Keele

http://marlin.utmb.edu/~nkeele/index.html