[Q] Webpage in References?

Bruce Heyer haifisch at cats.ucsc.edu
Thu Jun 27 16:29:33 EST 1996

In article <31D33C2B.39EB at biologie.uni-regensburg.de>, a rose
<andreas.rose at biologie.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:
> > > Is there a generally accepted format for the inclusion of a WWW
> > > page in the reference section (in my case that of a poster)?

Web pages are not "official" references for at least three reasons:

1.  They are not refereed publications.

2.  They are not static. I.e., they may be modified subsequent to your
reference, hence someone looking it up may find something other than that
to which you are referring.

3.  URL's often change as authors move, servers change, links proliferate,
etc. Hence a URL is not a reliable archival direction to the information.

Thus while the dynamic nature of web pages certainly have valid utility,
they do not substitute for published, refereed, archival, accessable