[Q] Webpage in References?

Guy Plunkett III guy at genetics.wisc.edu
Thu Jun 27 16:06:51 EST 1996

In article <31D33C2B.39EB at biologie.uni-regensburg.de>, a rose
<andreas.rose at biologie.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:
> Sorry, I didn't actually mean my own WWW page, but rather a
> page by the WHO that I cite in my poster. Is this OK:
>
> WHO (1996). Chagas Disease Control. WorldWideWeb page at
> http://www.who.ch/programmes/ctd/act/chagact.htm

I think that for a poster the format you use in your example is
fine; for publication it would depend on editorial policy.

My son came up against this situation with a paper he wrote for
school, and he ended going with a format much like your example.
For what it's worth, I checked with the author of the page in
question, and to paraphrase his reply: "there is no standard form
for this yet, but in any form of citation, the point is to make
it possible to find the original source, and your form does that."

In a Trends in Genetics article by Kenn Rudd, "Escherichia coli
K-12 on the Internet. TIG 12(4):156-157 (1996), URLs (http and
ftp) were listed with other references, with the section heading
being "References and URLs."

Cheers, GUY

--
Dr.Guy Plunkett III for the E. coli Genome Project
Laboratory of Genetics
Madison, WI  53706             Internet: guy at genetics.wisc.edu

                "Life is too short, and DNA too long."
                  -- Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park