[Q] Webpage in References?

mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu
Fri Jun 28 10:38:19 EST 1996

In article <31D33C2B.39EB at biologie.uni-regensburg.de>, a rose <andreas.rose at biologie.uni-regensburg.de> writes:
>Richard P. Grant wrote:
>> > Is there a generally accepted format for the inclusion of a WWW
>> > page in the reference section (in my case that of a poster)?
>> I've not seen it done, but I would suggest that it either goes at
>> the end of your address...
>> Or at the bottom on a line by itself.
>Sorry, I didn't actually mean my own WWW page, but rather a page by the
>WHO that I cite in my poster. Is this OK:
>WHO (1996). Chagas Disease Control. WorldWideWeb page at

The format required would generally depend on the journal in question, eh?

Even so, there is a real problem with citing web pages - they tend to exist
for only a short period of time before they are renamed/updated/deleted.
So maybe they last a year, or maybe three.  They aren't a stable reference
like a journal article or a book, which will be the same 100 years from now
when somebody pulls the dusty copy down off the shelf.  In any case 5-10
years from now, the web reference will almost certainly be useless.

David Mathog
mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu