IPDF: Idependently Funded Postdocs

Thu Mar 7 15:37:23 EST 1996

Picking up on comments by Michael S. Starka (see below,
no deletions), I suggest to start at-length discussion
how to offer the CONSTRUCTIVE solutions to the points
made. In my opinion, the prime link to break is to STOP
crediting supervisors for the work of their graduate
students AND postdocs. At least, measures must be taken
to downplay this. In many cases I see graduate students
(and even more so postdocs) as quite independent
workers producing a good and original work by working
hard around the clock (no security, poor pay, low
prospects, lot of stress, etc), while 'supervisors' enjoy
life by traveling 10 times a year to International
Conferences in Nice Places to present the results of
the work done largely by their subordinates.
If this not exploitation (another form) then what is
it ? On the other hand, this is a stuctural problem and
relatively easy to correct (or at least alleviate) by
sending students and postdocs (rather than profs) on
conferences. This will also help students to find new
contacts which are much more important for them (job
searchres) than for the established profs who as a
rule do not need new job contacts.

Of course, [ some ] Big Fat Cats are not going to give up
the above privelages volunteraly, but pressure from
the juniour community (and publicity generated by students
and postdocs) may force them to go for tangible concessions.

Alex Berezin