Gel electrophoresis model

Stephen R. Laniel slaniel at together.net
Sat Mar 9 20:39:22 EST 1996

While doing a simple electrophoresis demonstration using agarose gel and phage lambda DNA, two questions
popped into my head.  First, given a certain mass of a DNA fragment, what is the minimum voltage required to make
that mass move?  Similarly, given a certain voltage, what is the maximum mass that will move because of attraction to
the electrode?

Perhaps this is more of a physics question than a biology one; if so, I apologize and will repost it to the appropriate
newsgroup.  If, however, anyone can help me answer this question, it would really help.  Thanks a lot.

--Steve