Postdocs' (In)Dependence

Allen Adler adler at pulsar.wku.edu
Tue Mar 12 01:38:55 EST 1996

Real independence in experimental sciences requires access to
laboratories, not just income. If you want to ask your own
questions and not have to have your proposed research approved
by someone who has the laboratory you don't have, you are out
of luck.

I'm not suggesting that all review procedures be eliminated, since
they are clearly required in the interests of safety. But beyond
that, I would like to see a broader basis for the creation,
outfitting and use of laboratories by independent researchers
and educators.

Not that I have any idea how one would pay for this...

Allan Adler
adler at pulsar.cs.wku.edu