Hedgerows

David W Walker Dave at diwalk.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 12 13:01:29 EST 1996

In article <4i2dfg$i96 at acme.freenet.columbus.oh.us>, Cynthia Donahey
<cdonahey at freenet.columbus.oh.us> writes

>We were hiking recently at a city park. We usually follow a certain
>trail -along the creek and then go back by remnants of this old farm
>road or I guess, a hedgerow.  A couple of trees are coming down and
>taking others with them, so I expect this will disappear in the near
>future - or at least bear no resemblance to its former se. In general,
>park trails never take advantage of hedgerows - or am I mistaken here.
>There is one hospital in Westerville that has a hedgerow right next to
>its entrance, that noone ever seems to use- for its stress-releasing
>attributes.  I do understand in Enrope that hedgerows have a much
>higher status.

Hi

Certainly in the UK, hedgerows are still a common site in the
countryside. As well as being as you say a haven for wildlife, they can
provide valuable information on the history of an area because of the
pattern of the field boundaries etc.

Unfortunately in the last few decades, farmers have been digging them
out, to ease the cultivation of larger fields. This trend is now
declining to some extent and they are even replanting them!

In Britain you can roughly date a hedgerow...

age=(100x number of woody species)+30 in years

The oldest hedges in the UK are believed to be over a thousand years
old.

Dave Walker
 David W Walker    EMail dave at diwalk.demon.co.uk
 Micscape - the monthly Microscopy Magazine
 URL < http://www.demon.co.uk/micscape/ >